Friday, March 27, 2009

Hyposalinity Treatment, Part 2

A bit of an update on the hyposalinity treatment with Fins. We're now day three of treatment. The salinity in the tank is down to 1.014 and everything appears normal. There are no signs of any ich on the tang, but I'm aiming for at least three weeks of treatment. I believe hyposalinity is supposed to be like a really long freshwater bath, with more permanent results.

Fins continues to eat plenty. Yesterday I fed him a sheet of Nuri (little of which still remains), spectrum pellets and mysis shrimp. Today he'll finish off the rest of the Nuri and in addition to the pellets, I'll probably give him some Formula 2. He's looking fat, which is always important with Tangs because they expend a lot of energy swimming (and I'm guessing even more so in hypo.)

The light in the tank is now on. I actually think Fins kinda likes it--makes him feel a bit more secure, especially without a rock in the tank to hide behind. Speaking of which, I'm going to my mom's today to check on our latest addition, and I hope to pick up a rock I saw in the basement. Hopefully that will make things a bit less boring for Fins.

The big question is now whether I push Fins a little further and drop the salinity down to 1.012 as originally planned. I probably should. It'll probably only take one more gallon of distilled water. Guess I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment