Tuesday, April 28, 2009

First Video and our newest addition, BLELLOW!

I wanted to get some footage of the new tank and the fish online earlier, but I never got around to it. And then we had the ich episode, which set things back for awhile. Well, the hyposalinity treatment is finally over. I moved Fins, Red, and Jaws back to the display tank after a month in the QT, and after a week of raising the salinity. I'm not sure whether ending the hypo treatment was premature or not. Some of the articles I read said that hypo should be done for about four weeks, which is what I did, but other people said eight weeks. I decided to move them out after a couple of close scares in the QT (there was an ammonia spike which almost killed them) and because Fins's HLLE (Head and Lateral Line) was clearly worsening in that tank.


But so far, so good. I haven't seen any ich on the fish since the first week of hypo, and the tank was empty of fish for a month, so hopefully it's all gone. If not, I'll probably resolve to a strong feeding regiment rather than trying out Hypo again. I think it probably works, but you also probably need a bigger QT and more time for water changes, neither of which I have.


I'll definitely be quarantining all the fish henceforth.


Our newest addition is Blellow, the bicolor angel (Centropyge bicolor.) I actually purchased him right as I started the hypo treatment but because he was already ich free (I picked him up from a tear down) I had nowhere to put him. So I had my mom babysit him in her kitchen tank, which was great because she took good care of him and somehow thought of his name. C and I were at a total loss, and then mom just said "Blellow misses you." She really connects to the fish. Blellow is a stunning fish and everyone seems happy, as you can now see. Enjoy the show!

2 comments:

  1. I thought for sure you would have music!
    And by the way, Blellow was a very nice tankguest. The others are always asking about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite fish. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete