Monday, April 6, 2009

Spawning Event, New Frag, and Greeny Update

So, there was a spawning event in the tank last week. Despite being void of any fish right now, we still find a way to just stare at the rocks for hours. We noticed what looked like a bunch of sand coming out of the rock and floating into the tank and I assumed that it was just a bristle worm coming out of a hole and uprooting some sand. A

nd then it happened again a little later.

And then it happened again a little later.

The third time around I noticed that the small specs were actually little white eggs being shot out of the rock almost rhythmically. I'm certain it was not a coral--right now we don't have any frags that would spawn as such. More likely it was one of the ghost worms in the tank, or perhaps a snail that I could not see. We've noticed a bunch of baby snails in the tank, and I'd be thrilled if they grew to full size but I sort of doubt they will.

In other news, someone on Reef Central gave me free Kenya Tree frag. I'm not as obsessed with corals as other hobbyists. For starters, I don't have strong enough lighting to grow anything serious. Nor am I ready to invest in a calc reactor. I have been and continue to be a fish guy. That could change over time, but as of now, the swimmers still rule in my mind.

Still, I'm always open to free frags of stuff that has a shot of growing in my tank. Thus far that includes some non-pulsing xenia, green star polyps, a small kenya tree that was on the live rock I bought (which has, incidentally, trippled in size since) and this new Kenya tree frag. I didn't do much in terms of acclimation--it was getting late and I was in a lazy mood, so I just let it acclimate to the temperature in the plastic bag and then threw it in. A few days later, it's attached itself to a tall rock and appears fine. Hopefully it'll continue to grow, if slowly given my lighting and lack of supplements.

Greeny, the GBTA, is doing a bit better lately. I've successfully fed it silversides the past couple of days and it's looking a bit more open and healthy. The only trouble I have with feeding is Emiril, who loves silverslides and does what he can to steal the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment