Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hyposalinity Treatment, Part 5

Just a quick update. As of today, all three fish are doing fine in the QT. So far, none of the fish have shown any signs of ich. Fins has been in there the longest (1 week today), but she continues to eat normally and has remained fat. Perhaps because of prior experience with tangs I do fear an onset of lateral line; it's a little hard to tell whether she's showing some head erosion because of the actinic light that I have in the QT. If something is going on, it's happening slowly, which is good. So far her body is free from any erosion.

Red is doing well--he's not showing any signs of ich since entering the tank. I suppose the real test will be in a couple of weeks. If the fish remain ich free through the expected ich cycle, then I'll feel comfortable that the hypo has worked.

Meanwhile Jaws continues to do his thing with the sand. He appears totally unaffected by the move. I guess that means that netting him, the ten hour drip acclimation to hypo and his two attempts to jump out of the acclimation bucket didn't stress him out as much as I originally feared.

I continue to add PH Buffer, but I think the PH is beginning to normalize. The hydrometer reads a steady 1.013.

In sum, so far so good. I'm happy with the decision to do Hypo.

No comments:

Post a Comment